Wednesday, September 5, 2007

We've Got the Funk... Seriously, not the good kind either.

Work on the house has been slow and frustrating. We finally got all of the parts for the kitchen island light fixture and Chris installed it last week while I was lolling around with a bad attitude. It looks good and it's nice to be able to cook at night, but I haven't solved the big hole next to the fixture problem. I need to get on that so we can zip the kitchen up and call it done. The hoosier style cabinet still has not arrived, we're going on 14 weeks for a 6-8 week lead time, so our dishes are still all on the dining table.

We had a roofer come and give us an estimate for new (cheap) shingles, epdm lining in our yankee gutters and new downspouts and it was a whopping $13,000, twice what we were expecting. Now I feel certain that if we don't do it the house will fall down this winter and if we do it, it won't matter if the house is still standing because we'll be living in a trailer park at the edge of town. This is a major cause of the funk, we have a lot of water problems and I wanted to at least stop the water this fall before working on the structural problems next spring. It looks like the best we're going to be able to do is dig a french drain and install new downspouts, and maybe I'll take up religion, although I'm not sure if it works for houses.

In the midst of all of this I have decided to go back to school, so projects are going to be extra extra slow and project money is being diverted for books and protractors and pocket protectors. Fun fun fun...

No comments: